Renewing one of George Gilbert Scott's most accomplished works at the University of Oxford, this project combines a sensitive programme of restoration with considered improvements to the library’s study spaces and accessibility.
The library was constructed in 1857 by George Gilbert Scott, one of a number of his works at Exeter College. The Grade II listed neo-gothic building was built as a two storey range with an adjoining lower annexe in an ‘L’ formation, around the college’s Rectors Garden. It sits next to the 17th Century walls of Convocation House, the Grade I listed historic court room of the Bodleian Library, separated only by a sliver of ground between buttresses.
Key to unlocking the tight spaces of the existing library is a modest single storey block – the Link block. Tucked between the party wall of Convocation House and the two wings of the library, the Link block has undergone many alterations over the past two centuries, with little original fabric remaining. What is presently a garden store and windowless strongroom, was a pivotal opportunity for the design team to transform the circulation of the library. Through occupying this space and the gap between the Bodleian’s buttresses, we have created a new entrance to both wings of the library and new staircase and lift, making the library fully accessible. The new lift shaft will be hidden behind an existing stair turret. A further new entrance and stair at the north end of the annex adds new emergency exits and allows flexible movement through the building.
Steel beams, added as reinforcement to the range floor in the 19th century, will be replaced with a new hidden structure, allowing the original ceiling design to be fully revealed.
The library was significantly altered throughout the last century, with many changes obscuring the original beauty of Gilbert Scott’s design. With no construction drawings to work from, careful investigation of the building’s fabric and study of Gilbert Scott’s wider works informed the design proposals. Reflecting Scott’s modulation of light, the 1950’s rooflights in the annex will be replaced by clerestory windows, as in the St Pancras ticket hall.
The annex is presently split by a mezzanine floor that bisects Gilbert Scott’s gothic tracery, resulting in an uninviting lower level. Our proposals restore the windows to their full height, and insert a new mezzanine like a ‘ bespoke piece of furniture’ across half the width of the annex, designed to echo the library’s original bookcases. The adjustment returns the annex to a single volume, improving the quality of reading spaces.
The use of prefabricated hardwood laminated panels, allows for structural interventions including a lift shaft and the new 14m cantilevered mezzanine to be partially pre-constructed with minimum assembly on site.
On the first floor of the range, bookcases will be constructed to conceal a deployable fire curtain system, without disrupting the historic interior. Existing exposed services will be re-routed and hidden beneath the plinths of the bookshelves, in significant upgrades to the building’s services, and environmental comfort and performance.
The material palette compliments the craftsmanship of the original building. Alonside extensive use of beech and oak, cast iron panels will clad the new lift shaft. Celebrating a number of stained glass windows created by Exeter alumni, William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones, our proposals introduce reeded glass screen and artists’ installations in the new circulation spaces.
"Nex won us over with a combination of talent, insight and rigour, and we look forward to working with them as we repair, restore and renew the Library for future generations.'
Sir Rick Trainor, Rector of Exeter College
- Exeter College Library
- Exeter College, Oxford
- June 2019
- Oxford, UK
- Heritage Architect: Donald Insall Project Manager: Ridge Structural Engineer: Webb Yates Landscape: Todd Longstaffe Gowan Services Engineer: Laurence Owen Lighting: DHA Design Cost Consultant: Ridge Access Consultant: Jane Topliss Associates